Friday, March 2, 2012

The Internet Divide

Even though I'm pretty slow to jump on the bandwagon and explore new technology, I've at least always known that if I really took the time to explore what's available to me, I could probably discover all sorts of things.  A few years ago, I discovered the 'Pandora' so many had spoke of and started really investigating it for new music.  It is aptly named because it has opened up an entire world for me that I didn't even know existed.  I went from having a handful of favorite artists to a plethora of them.  Each new artist I discover is like unwrapping a delicious piece of candy.  I feel like Lucille Ball in the factory not able to keep up with the never ending stream of yummy candies I still need to gobble up.  Because of this genious musical invention, I've since learned how to purchase and burn my music onto CDs and also pumped up my iPod library as well.  And then I discovered podcasts.  Free, informative programs that you can download directly onto your ipod?  Simply amazing.  I now have thought-provocating and comical programs to listen to as I walk, instead of just music.  And I sing my Ode to Youtube for providing me with countless hours of entertainment from new artists to hilarious antics to instructional cooking videos.  And now I can even add the website, Pinterest, to my list of favorites as it has already inspired me to produce artwork and to travel to foreign places that were unknown to me before.  And that is just the tip of the iceberg of all the information available to us on the world wide web.  So, what sort of division is it causing for the children and adults that have no access to this world, either due to economics or locale?  Recently, there has been a push to bridge this gap by offering low-cost computers and expanding service so that evey home can have these learning oppurtunities.  How else will they be able to compete in a technologically-driven world?  Someone with no access will undoubtedly be passed over for someone who is rich in this experience.  My hope is that this access will inspire, teach, and hopefully create many entrepreneurs for our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment