Saturday, February 25, 2012

Out of the Darkness Comes The Light

A friend used this title for one of her photos recently and that phrase has been resonating with me ever since.  I've just suffered a huge loss in my life and have been having a hard time dealing with it and needed an outlet.  Another friend of mine invited me to go to a free painting class that a local artist was offering and I jumped at the chance.  And so it begins...a new journey with a new love.  It may be more of an escape at the moment but, regardless, it brings me comfort and a lot of peace when I need it most.  I have been learning violin for some time and really enjoy it.  However, to me, it's an experience that may never be fully realized due to lack of utter devotion and time.  I also use to sketch and draw occasionally but that also was never fully satisfing.  The sketches never truly felt complete to me.  But painting!  Oh, painting is a whole different story.  Within just a few nights of walking through an instructional book and experimenting with colors, I created the painting above.  I felt an enormous amount of satisfaction, not just from the finished project but from the entire creative process.  The concentration and focus on each phase of a painting is the best form of meditation that I could have found and I can not wait to keep exploring this gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment